Friday, November 27, 2009

It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you...

... without a Jog Blog (your quick and friendly reminder --->)to step to!

Since my last blog I've been out running no more than five times. Not only that but each time seemed to be less interesting than the last. Needless to say, I hit an early running slump. Hopefully I've pulled (or been pulled) out of the slump and back on to the road. However, my overall fitness progression has, for the most part, stayed the course.

Next week I start week five (of six) of physical therapy for my knee. The progress I have made during the course of the therapy has been nothing short of triumphant. A month ago I was running, but still couldn't handle stairs very well. On bad days I would even have to do the one step at a time while holding the rail and grunting routine going both up and down a flight. But, just three days ago I found myself running up a flight of stairs without even the slightest sense of hesitation. That my friends, is something worth stepping to!

My other victory comes in the form of weight loss. Since the day I first decided to run the Long Beach marathon I have lost about thirty pounds! Now, to some of you who remember my Facebook status a few weeks ago, yes, I haven't lost much since then :). There was about a two to three week span where I hit a plateau in my weight loss. It's the funniest thing really. I started falling back into old eating habits and wasn't exercising as much, and for some reason I wasn't losing weight anymore. Hmmm, may have to consult a physician on this one, 'cause I'm befuddled. Last weekend was a complete dietary breakdown for me. I put on seven pounds in two days! Two days! Stepping on the scale was all the leverage I needed to get right back on the proverbial horse. Since last weekend I have taken off the seven pounds plus two more. And no, I am not starving myself, just still big enough to fluctuate weight at a greater rate. My new short term and aggressive goal is to lose another twenty pounds by Christmas. At that point I will be approximately 73.52941176470588235% towards my (first) goal in exactly 50% the time I was hoping to reach it. Right on pace! :)



OK, enough about me. When I first started this edition of the Jog Blog I wanted to make it something "to step to (for those with short term memory problems this is your cue to scroll back to the top for a quick and friendly reminder)."

If you read this, and you run, or have run, and have ever fallen into slumps, what got you out? How did you muster the motivation to tighten your laces, warm up your muscles and get back out on the pavement? For me it was reminding myself of my goal while looking down at the scale.

For your own safety I should warn you, comments are mandatory, not optional! For proof, see below.




*********COMMENT WITHIN 3 MINUTES OR THIS COMPUTER WILL SELF DESTRUCT**************





Sorry everybody. I'm feeling a little silly... I had just gotten back from a great run when I wrote this, and I think I'm high on endorphins. Hmmm... maybe I should have written more about that? Nah...

No comments:

Post a Comment